AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Championships in 2021
The AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Rankings comprise a one-year qualifying period during which athletes in nine separate age groups can compete in 175 marathons across the world to earn ranking points.
The geographical spread of the selected marathon events that are part of the AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Rankings creates a truly global series throughout the year, giving runners around the world the chance to be part of a new era of age group marathon running. With more than 30 events across Asia, four in Africa, 20 in Central and South America, more than 60 in Europe, 8 in Oceania and more than 50 in North America, there is a race for everyone in almost every corner of the globe.
The second edition of the rankings commences on September 30th 2019 and ends on October 11th at the 2020 Bank of America Chicago Marathon - coinciding with the conclusion of Series XIII of the Abbott World Marathon Majors. The World Championships will take place in the spring of 2021 with the location to be announced no later than June 2020.
- Participants in an AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Ranking qualifying race will earn points according to their age, time and gender, aligned with the following age groups for men and women: 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+.
- A maximum of two races run in the qualifying period will go towards a runner’s overall ranking in their age group. At the end of the qualifying period, the top ranked runners in each age group will be invited to the AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Championships.
- Qualifying period runs from Sept. 30, 2019 – Oct. 11, 2020.
- More than 175 marathons across the globe giving runners the chance to earn ranking points - more than 60 in Europe, more than 50 in North America, more than 30 events across Asia, 20 in Central and South America, four in Africa and 8 in Oceania.
- For more information visit: https://www.worldmarathonmajors.com/agwr/world-championships/
About Abbott World Marathon Majors
The Abbott World Marathon Majors (AbbottWMM) is a series of six of the largest and most renowned marathons in the world - Tokyo Marathon, B.A.A. Boston Marathon, Virgin Money London Marathon, BMW BERLIN-MARATHON, Bank of America Chicago Marathon and TCS New York City Marathon.
Encompassing an annual series for elite runners and elite wheelchair athletes, AbbottWMM also applauds the achievements and passion of everyday champions from around the world. The new AbbottWMM Six Star System is an online results hub that celebrates every runner who has completed from one to six of the races in the series and encourages them to 'Reach For The Stars'.
The AbbottWMM also launched the AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Rankings in 2018 and the first AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Championship race will take place at the Virgin Money London Marathon, April 2020. Series 2019/2020 will feature more than 175 races with the world championships being held in Spring 2021.
For more information, visit www.abbottwmm.com